Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lap booking class Term 1 lesson 4

Today we went to mother in law's house for Lunar New Year reunion lunch as 3rd brother in law's family and 2nd sister in law's children will be away for holiday on Lunar New Year Eve. As a result, it totally upset our schedule. We were late for the class. We missed some parts of the lesson. ARGH................


When we arrived, Shirley was showing a book on farm animal. She showed picture of cow then moved on to sheep. She asked tot what animal is that? A sheep. How do you tell it's a sheep? What is on the sheep's body? Wool. The wool makes sheep looks fat. Wool keeps sheep warm. Farmer shear sheep's wool for making thick clothes. Shirley suggested bringing tots to real farm to see what activities and what animals are in the farm. She said not all farms have the same animal. There are hay farm, fish farm, vegetable farm, etc. If there is no opportunity to bring tots to the real farm, show them picture or utube to understand farm

Shirley showed picture of 6 types of spider. She asked tots to listen carefully and point to the picture of the spider she described.

Spider with black body, yellow legs that are bent. The spider jumps to catch prey (Shirley action jump) It doesn't spin web. - Jumping spider

Spider with black body, black thin legs and a red hour glass pattern on the body. It spins web and wait for prey to come. It is poisonous - Black Widow I read that female Black Widow kills the male after mating. Guess that gives it the name Black Widow

Spider with big orange color abdomen that looks like a big ball - Marbled Orb weaver Shirley asked Png Png to point to the picture for this one. He held my hand to point to the correct picture

Spider with grey legs (looks dull green color to me) that lie very flat on the floor - Wolf spider

Spider with orange and brown body with very fat legs. It chase after birds - Tarantula

Spider with yellow long body (I told Png Png the body of the spider looks like shape of a peanut with the shell on) - Long jawed Orb weaver

Among the 6 spiders, 3 spin web (Black Widow, Marbled Orb weaver and Long jawed Orb weaver) and 3 don't spin web (Tarantula, Wolf spider and Jumping spider). Spiders which don't spin web, chase after prey

Parents had to describe to tots the 6 spiders and get tots to pick the name (tell name begin with which alphabet) and the picture. Tots at this age should get all correct. Png Png picked the correct name and picture for all 6

2 comments:

DG said...

Hi Shook, I chanced upon your blog. I am so surprised that you are able to remember such details of the class, down to what I said! Especially after so many months! Wow. Your memory is amazing too. :>

Porschenana said...

Hi Shirley
Wow, how do you find my blog? I am a very attentive student of yours. :-) I enjoy your lessons. I love the way you question the tots and the details you went through. I love especially the animated way you read those literatures. I want to save them for my memeory. I pen the details immediately after the lesson. My memory is very poor after child delivery.